Thursday, October 18, 2007

Belief

A great thing about knowing God is that you always know that you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings. There's no catch, special circumstance, or fine print. He is there. Period. There is no reason for anyone to feel unloved or unwanted. God is "here, there, and everywhere." Faith and hope are what keep us going. Who hasn't been so desperate that they've asked someone out there for help- not realizing that God was the only one listening? In "It's a Wonderful Life," George Bailey is in a desperate situation saying, "Dear Father, I’m not a praying man, but if you’re up there and you can hear me, show me the way. I’m at the end of my rope. Show me the way, oh God.” How can we not believe in a higher being?

It's not all about religion or sects, though. It's about believing. Not just that someone up there is watching you and loving you, but about believing in yourself. It takes great faith for someone to climb a great mountain, or for a baby to take his first steps. But, they have to believe in themselves, first. John Lennon sang,
"I don't believe in Bible... I don't believe in Buddha... I don't believe in Gita. I don't believe in Yoga. I don't believe in Kings. I don't believe in Elvis... I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me."
You can't believe in anything or anyone until you believe in yourself. It sounds corny, but really- it is the key to life. I've been down on myself so many times in my life that I can't count- but I'm getting stronger, I'm growing in my faith in God, and in me. If I believe that I can get through something- and be happy- I will.
Believe.